Thursday, July 1, 2010

Getting Ready to Run!

Yesterday I went to several different sporting good stores looking for a good heart monitor to use for running. After leaving several stores disappointed with the selection (or lack thereof), I ended up in R.E.I, where the gentleman behind the electronics counter was kind enough to answer my questions and get me thinking a bit more about what I really wanted out of a HRM. I was going to go for a cheaper model that just tracked calories burned and heart rate, but decided that it was worth spending the extra money on one that would not only track those two things but also tracked distance and time. I ended up going home and ordering the Garmin Forerunner 305 HRM online after reading lots of good reviews. Now, I just have to sit back and wait for it to arrive, I can't wait!
For dinner I made salmon on the George Foreman grill, it came out delicious. I made a rub of grapeseed oil, garlic and chopped fresh basil and dill. I actually picked the basil and dill from my planter boxes on the balcony, how cool is that?

This was the fish before I cooked it, the fresh basil and dill smelled wonderful!

When it was done, I served it on a bed of greens with some garlic infused vinegar, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice. I even garnished it with some parsley for good measure.
After dinner we took a motorcycle ride out to Los Lunas for some pie and coffee at Village Inn, it is my one sugar indulgence of the week.

Here I am, ready to ride
Here is Rod, looking good in his riding jacket ;)
Today I did my regular Thursday volunteer work with a local occupational therapist who uses assistance dogs as therapy dogs to work with her clients. It is a really fun job, I enjoy working with both the dogs and the kids. I even hope to get my own dog soon and train it as a therapy dog.

Here is one of the activities that a couple of clients was doing with one of the dogs, putting socks on a dauschund, it was too cute, I just had to take a picture!

Since he was a trained therapy dog, the dog was a pretty good sport about it and the kids had a good time trying.

When I got home I did a 45 minute circuit workout that I put together as I went along, alternating arm and leg exercises with 60 second cardio intervals, then I followed it up with a quick abs routine at the end. It was a pretty good workout, my legs and arms were pretty shaky by the end and I think I will be sore tomorrow. For dinner I made the curried millet and chickpea stuffed peppers recipe from one of my favorite blogs, the front burner. It came out pretty tasty and didn't take too long to make, I will be bringing leftovers for lunch at work tomorrow at the rehab hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment